"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck.
I don’t hate everything about Texas.
Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t have one of those bumper
stickers on my car that says “Not a native Texan, but got here as soon as I
could.” (Yes, those exist.) Nor will I be getting a tattoo of the state of
Texas, or the Texas flag, or the lyrics of the Texas state pledge. I do
unfortunately know the lyrics of the pledge, however, thanks to several years
of Texas public school and a Texas state law that required us to recite them
during 2nd period. (“Honor
the Texas flag, I pledge allegiance to the, one and indivisible.”)
There are many things that really bother me about Texas.
Mostly, I hate how it’s just so full of itself.
For many Texans, if it doesn’t come from Texas, it ain’t worth an
armadillo.
But Texans will complain about the heat in July and August
(and for that matter, April, May, June, and September as well) as much as an
outsider will, and they don’t look at you as any less human for struggling with
it. And there is certainly something to
say about the way they make Mexican food (which is in no way the same way that
Mexicans make Mexican food.). And I’m
known to indulge in a Shiner, and other great Texas beers.
I had a great moment of appreciation for Texas on a friend’s
birthday. We went to one of the local
breweries, Rahr, in Ft. Worth. I’ve
toured breweries before, so I was expecting to go in, be shown the big machines
where they process the hops and the malt, get a glass, and get a taste of each
of their brews, before being herded into a gift shop.
At Rahr, they check your ID, give you a wristband with 3
tickets attached, and tell you that each ticket can be redeemed for a beer of
your choice. Then you walk over to a
table where you choose a glass with the names of one of their beers on the
front, and you walk inside to where they have a band playing covers of the
Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and Johnny Cash.
The brewery is filled with people sitting at picnic tables drinking
beer, listening to music, and watching the Olympics on a giant screen.
As we stepped outside to let the boys smoke, I told Rose
Tyler, “you know what, it’s moments like this I really do appreciate
Texas.” She seemed a little surprised to
hear me say this, as most of the time I just talk about how homesick I am for the
great white north. “You mean, you can’t do this kind of thing in Minnesota?”
she replied. “Not that I’ve ever been
to. Usually it’s just a standard tour.”
On the drive back to our friend’s house, we rolled all of
the windows down, despite the 104 degree weather and started with some gangster
rap but ended up with Nancy Sinatra.
“Bang bang, he shot me down. Bang
bang, I hit the ground. Bang bang, that awful sound. Bang bang, my baby shot me
down.”
This story is important not because I’ve decided to stay in
Texas, or even because I need to admit that I didn’t give Texas a chance. I’ve given Texas many chances and I haven’t
decided to stay here.
This moment in time exposes one of the greatest advantages
of leaving home. Of course leaving home means missing home. I will always miss home. But I’m not certain
I will ever move back home. Moving away from where your comfortable gives you
experiences you can’t get at home. You
learn more about yourself and the world and your relationship with the world.
I constantly crave moments like this. Moments unique to a
space; moments illuminated in memory by a surreal luminous glow, characterized
by elements of all of the senses. I can only gain these by forcing myself into
a level of discomfort (Liminality, if you will.), and I fear soon Texas will be
far too comfortable.
Some days I wonder if I were born in another time, in
another place, what my profession would be.
A sailor, maybe? A traveling
salesmen? I hate selling stuff. A sophist perhaps. I like the idea of a traveling teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment